Sunday, April 11, 2010...

has been a slooow day so far, but not for lack of things to do! It's just been getting harder to get going each day towards the end of the school term and, especially with the weather so nice right now, sit myself down at the ol' computron and plug away at those annoying loose ends that need to be wrapped up. That's really a bit of an understatement, as this has been by far the worst semester of college I've ever experienced with many projects being complete write-offs.

I see it's been over a month since my last post, but there still isn't too much I can put up yet. I'll probably put up my work on food and GMOs closer to, or after, final presentations and the grad show in two weeks. Jill also assures me *ahem* that the new website will be done before then, so I'd also like to do a post looking back on some work from Lotus Ink that I'll be shelving and some newer work that will be going up on the t42 site. So, at some point in the near future there should be a tidal wave of new content on this page, but for the time being all I can really show are the new business cards we've done up and a little promo card for the show.









These are fresh out of the box from Overnight Prints. I was getting nitpicky over the cut job on the cards but hey, considering that even with the surprise $40 COD it still cost about 1/3 of what it would have to get it done locally I shouldn't complain.

A note about the promo card: Canada and the US are a couple of (if not THE) last countries in the developed world to implement some form of labeling for GMOs. A number of countries have banned them outright while others import them for use in industrial products but not human consumption. When I started my research on this topic last Fall, I, like most people, had no idea what GM food was, how it was created, or that I was even eating it. After eight months of reading, writing, and illustrating about GMOs, I would support a complete moratorium but at the very least I think we deserve the same choice the rest of the world has to decide for ourselves whether we want to risk our health in this giant experiment of GM food. According to the stats I've seen, 80-90% of Canadians feel the same way, but the last bill put forward in 2008 that proposed such labeling was defeated in the House of Commons. Rest assured though, it will not be the last. More on this topic when I post my work!

0 Responses on "Sunday, April 11, 2010..."

Post a Comment

SUBSCRIBE TO RSS