professional radishism

As I was informed again recently, some parties are of the opinion that linking a blog on a professional portfolio site (such as we have here) may in some way degrade the professionalism of the site. I'll admit that of the many fields of the service industry, even among the self-employed/freelance, artists and writers seem to be far more likely to do this than anyone else, but I have to wonder why we do/don't expose the behind-the-scenes sides of ourselves and what the pros and cons are. My initial (and lingering) sentiment has been equal parts confusion and mild offense, because I, for one, greatly enjoy looking behind the curtain and learning more about the people that do STUFF that interests me, but I suppose this opinion is not always shared at higher levels in the professional world. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think that there was a real person behind these illustrations, much less that they might have their own interests and processes or, heaven forbid, say bad words once in awhile! Maybe it is a bit self-centered to assume people give a crap about what we do from day to day, but I suspect there is more to this curious form of journal-keeping/news-sharing than simply ego or a desire to undermine my credibility by exposing my imperfections. Anyone visiting an artist's or author's or anyone else's site usually has an option of clicking that Blog link, and I have to assume that we're all adults here and take responsibility for our actions. I just don't feel like a blog is something we should be ashamed of and hide from industry view by excluding it from a portfolio site, ESPECIALLY since it's the only thing that we update even remotely frequently at this time. But, then again, I have a notorious record for writing colloquial resumes that are flat out rejected in favour of the prim and polished lines of self-celebration and achievements that give no insight into character but are so very popular these days. How like an artist it is of me to rant against the almost 'politically correct' sanitization of the professional world but hey, meet me, talk to me, and maybe you'll see that professionalism isn't a mask I put on with a suit and tie or a carefully crafted facade I present to clients - it's a set of ethics and a commitment to quality. Gosh that leads me to another rant, about flipping the bird to employers who have just hired you because something better comes along, and this expendable society we live in where everyone else is just a stepping stone to your own success, but that's one for another day. So, I'll leave the last word to the radish general... oh, I see... he's speechless. Radishes, what are you going to do with them?


5 Responses on "professional radishism"

  1. onisfi says:

    I also think that having a sketchblog is a good thing, considering that usually artists update their portfolio maybe twice a year and how much it tells about the artists versatility and the things he or she likes to draw. Also, most people are interested of finding more about the artist as well and his or her views of things, not including the dramatastic blogs of course. I think too many people mistake blogs as something where you only weep your heart out and tell 'secrets openly to the internet', instead of thinking of it as something light-hearted or just a simple sketchbook.

    I am extremely happy that you have this sketchbook and have it linked on your portfolio.

    Cyprian says:

    lol...well said dude! I couldn't agree with you more. Most of this is sad, but so very true.

    ~ Peace

    Anonymous says:

    In response to your blog, it would have been far more tactful for you to address the source and discuss your reasons and viewpoints, than anonymously to the world on a personal issue like this, particularly when it involves your own family. One of the radishes, not silent.

    Anonymous says:

    Specifically, uncle radish.

    Zach says:

    This is a vast, professional issue and not a personal one. I have sent an email to explain, and I will change any bad grammar on my part that may have insinuated this was an isolated incident. Also, the radish general is an innocent bystander!

Post a Comment

SUBSCRIBE TO RSS